At Trimley St Mary Primary School we are passionate about promoting high standards of Historical understanding. Through combining the Early Years and National Curriculum with the Chris Quigley Essentials Planning Documentation, our History curriculum allows children to build on and embed the key skills and knowledge taught in previous years and equip all our children with the necessary skills to have a coherent understanding of the history of Britain and the wider world.
Through our well-planned and sequenced History curriculum, we aim to ignite curiosity within our children to learn more about past events and make comparisons to life in Modern Day Britain. Our children acquire a coherent understanding of not only Britain’s past but also that of the wider world. Throughout our History teaching, we encourage questions and aim to equip our pupils with the ability to ask perceptive questions and to take steps to answer them themselves too. Children are encouraged to form opinions on historical events and evaluate evidence, in order to think critically, justify using evidence and to thoroughly consider both sides of an issue before making a decision.
As Historians we will:-
• Develop an excellent knowledge and understanding of people, events, and contexts from a range of historical periods and of historical concepts and processes.
• Think critically about history and communicate ideas very confidently in styles appropriate to a range of audiences.
• Consistently support, evaluate and challenge our own and others’ views using detailed, appropriate and accurate historical evidence derived from a range of sources.
• Think, reflect, debate, discuss and evaluate the past, formulating and refining questions and lines of enquiry.
• Demonstrate a passion for history and an enthusiastic engagement in learning, which develops our sense of curiosity about the past and our understanding of how and why people interpret the past in different ways.
• Show an understanding of respect for historical evidence and the ability to make robust and critical use of it to support their explanations and judgements.
• Demonstrate a desire to embrace challenging activities, including opportunities to undertake high-quality research across a range of history topics.
Click on the links below, to see further information about how History is implemented at Trimley St Mary School.